Copyright Notice

© Copyright 2023 Brenda Swenson retains copyrights to all images (artwork and reference photographs). All images on this site are property of Brenda Swenson and may not be used in any way for commercial, financial or personal use without written consent. Brenda Swenson retains all rights to republication (printed and digital) and anything but personal viewing of artworks. www.SWENSONsART.net

Friday, July 13, 2018

Part 5 A Friend for Boone

Handsome Boy
I left off at...Come out, come out wherever you are!
I was in Santa Fe teaching a workshop. Everyday I called home. This time I could tell something was going on. Mike said, he was worried about Boone being lonely. So what did he do? He went to our veterinary office (TLC Animal Clinic) and asked if they had a kitten that needed a home. As it turned out they had a young male kitten the same age as Boone. The clinic received this kitten three months ago and…he was feral! While living at the at the clinic he became acquainted with people and being touched. He spent 3 months in a cage. I know that sounds sad but before the clinic stepped in he has going to be euthanized. Now they felt he was tame enough to be placed in a home. 

Mike brought him home. I asked him how it went? Mike said, he cried the entire way and darted under the bed. He hasn’t come out yet. 

Best of Friends!
When I returned home from Santa Fe my first impression of him wasn't the best. I'm accustom to picking up our cats but every time I picked him up I was left with scratches down my arms. He was very skittish and had a wild streak. I had to change my approach with this kitten or I was going to have a problem. I had to remember how far he had come from being feral and give him enough space to feel safe. I spent a lot of time coaxing him with toys and treats…he began to settle in. After a few days I decided to name him. I called him, Lync. Why you ask? The little guy is taunt like in wild lynx cat. And he is part of a bigger chain of cats that have come through our home. So far we have rescued 16.

Watching Boone inner act with Lync was…surprising. At first I thought he was just being a spoiled brat. He wouldn’t share toys, pounced on Lync constantly and even attacked! Poor Lync had no clue what was going on. I was getting worried about leaving them alone…not good. As it turned out, our spending extra time with Lync, to help him adjust had made Boone jealous.  Once we figured it out, peace was restored in our house.

The good news…In time Lync settled down. He fills safe, happy, playful...He still doesn’t like to be picked up. I’m okay with that. Lync has an athletic streak and loves to jump and twist in the air, a sweet personality, like to chase toys, back rubs, play in the sink…and eats like a horse! Boone loves his friend, too! 
A short video of the boys at play. Boone is a couple months older now and less bossy. You can see how he wanted to be the center of attention! Today they are the best of friends!

If you’ve missed earlier parts of this story please read:

Next week I'll be sharing a fun and creative post on sketching!

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

24 comments:

  1. Very cute! I also had a cat that didn't like to be picked up, but she was with us for 17 years. She was also a good friend to our other cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevie, He likes his feet firmly planted on the floor 😊

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad Boone and Lync have become fast friends! Just look at those sweet faces. There's so much humanity in their eyes, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, They both had a rough start but life is good now!

      Delete
  3. So cute that Boone got jealous! That just shows how much Boone loves you two!! Smart that you knew why he was acting that way. They are the cutest playing in that tunnel! Faith got a kick out of the video. She just got a tunnel to play in too. lol "oh! Kitty Cats! They're so cute!" she said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, Faith loves dinosaurs, her mommy and cats!🦁 Cute!

      Delete
  4. That is so sweet! Boone is quite sure of his place in the hierarchy, no doubt about that. I need to get one of those tunnels for Inky...I think he'd love it. Thanks so much for sharing Boone's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, They love the tunnel! We’ve added a couple more to it🀣

      Delete
  5. My goodness Lync's tail is so loooonnnggg. They are so cute. I've really enjoyed your stories about Boone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lync is such a cute kitty. I have to say that Boone and Lync together remind me of a couple of kittens that I fostered for a while. The kittens were born to a feral mom and at the point the kittens were old enough to wean, the whole family was trapped and taken over to Seattle for neutering and shots. The momma cat was returned to the colony and the kittens were put in foster care to work on socialization. One of the kittens was black and white. My son called him Soap. My son called the orange kitten Ijit. One of them became more social than the other; but, their future home was probably going to be some farmer's barn to help keep the rodent population under control.

    It looks like Boone and Lync have worked out their differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many cats that need home! It’s wonderful when folks help out by having them neutered and placed in homes. Your cat sounded wonderful 😁

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful story. Thanks for taking the time to share the journey with us. And how wonderful that with Mike's help these two found each other.
    twenty years ago a little grey tabby came to my back door during a November storm. She was feral and wouldn't come it. I built a warm box for her and fed here there. She came in in the spring when she was pregnant. She birthed 4 healthy kittens and I kept 2. Then her 'sister' Rumi showed up at the door with 5 kittens whom I found homes for and Rumi stayed. I could never pick Bodhi up but she would sit at my side. Rumi was very affectionate. They all had wonderful, healthy happy lives. Rumi passed two years ago, Bodhi last Febrary, Hermi (her son) last August and then Cas this past May. About 3 years into their lives Bob showed up, an young adult long hair mix of browns, gold, and tan. Much to my surprise he was immediately welcomed and loved by all. He passed just after Rumi.It was a great journey of joy to share my home with these beautiful fur kids and it's wonderful to hear stories of other little ones being given the life saving gift of a happy and safe home. Thank you for that and your wonderful art as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.P.,
      You've had a lot of furry little ones come to your backdoor and into your life! It's nice to hear from another tender heart. We may be the ones opening our hearts and homes to help but the gifts of love and joy I've received in return is priceless! I'm sure you feel the same way. ~Hugs

      Delete
  8. Dear Brenda - Lync is such a handsome fella and Boone is so gorgeous. Each cat is so different but what joy they bring. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Yes they are very different.....But like so many good friendships it's the difference in personalties that makes it work!
      Have a great weekend =)

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely new addition. I’m glad that the cats have befriended each other...it always takes time with any cats, feral or not. But SO worth it! Your feline generousity is heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenda, when do we get to see a sketch of the both of them together?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brenda, So sorry to hear about the people who have taken your art to use as their own. Nothing in comparison, but I taught a class (each is given a print-out of the subject and they paint along). One of my students felt it was OK to post her finished painting on Facebook and her website and proceed to sell it as her copywrite! I asked her to take it down - as I was entering it into the San Diego Watercolor Society Show as my own work. She did take it down - thankfully. My painting sold there in 4 days. Best regards in the future - Bonnie Rinier

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brenda... love your sketches/Watercolors and your beautiful kitties Boone and Lync ... have you still got the other two kitties Joy and Zion ... do the 4 of them get together... omg their antics must be so funny... my 12yo Burmese is lonely since our border collie passed away 4mths ago ... but I am not keen to get him a playmate at 12... keep up all your lovely work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Yes we still have the other kitties. They’re not to excited to have new kittens around. A house devided...πŸ˜‰
      It’s hard for some animals to be alone and others prefer to be the only one.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the story of your kindness with Boone and Linc. It brought joy to my heart!

    ReplyDelete