Copyright Notice

© Copyright 2023 Brenda Swenson retains copyrights to all images (artwork and reference photographs). All images on this site are property of Brenda Swenson and may not be used in any way for commercial, financial or personal use without written consent. Brenda Swenson retains all rights to republication (printed and digital) and anything but personal viewing of artworks. www.SWENSONsART.net

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Extra Time Doesn't Exist

Every day has 24 hours. Time always runs out at the end of the day. We’re never going to have EXTRA time. It doesn't exist!  Laundry will need folding, dishes washed, yard work, grocery shopping… Trust me these things will be there tomorrow.

Some days family comes first...I know this all too well. Sorrow and loss has visited our family many times. What I’m talking about is moments in the day we waste. What do you mindlessly give your time to? Is it scrolling through social media, sleeping in, shopping… ?

I’m as guilty as the next person.I was better at finding reasons why I wasn't living my dream 
then putting energy into making it happen. So what was the problem? Simply put…ME! It’s easier to make excuses than taking responsibility and making it happen. The honest-to-goodness truth is I had to change my thinking. I didn’t value my time. I’m not alone here…its common thinking among women to see what we do for others as more valuable than ourselves. What we fail to see is creativity is the core of who we are.

It all sound so easy but where do you begin? 5 minutes is a start! Start small and enjoy the little jewels you create. Keep your expectations realistic. Don't expect to do a masterpiece if you only have 20 minutes. Sketchbooks are a great place to build confidence. 

I made a short video to help show what I mean. See 3 separate examples of what can be achieved with limited time and supplies. With a bird as my inspiration I show design, shadow and color. Each sketch is on a different surface. 

Click on image to see the video or visit this link https://youtu.be/ffD-nTCD0DY 

We make the choices of how we spend our time…PERIOD. What are you waiting for? Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverb 13:12

If you'd like to learn from me in person please visit my Workshop Schedule for 2020. I know this isn't possible for many people to attend workshops. My blog and YouTube channel is especially for you. 

Happy Sketching!
Brenda 

20 comments:

  1. You have expressed this thought before! I know because it struck such a chord with me that I wrote it down and referred to it often. And I believe it has helped me to be more productive. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette,
      You’re welcome! Time management is a constant struggle for us all.

      Delete
  2. Excellent thoughts, Brenda thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Brenda, your words have just helped me re-calibrate a bit....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, We all need a little adjustment now and again❤️

      Delete
  4. It is Time Management, isn’t it! Great read and thoughts. This is the second time this morning I have been nudged towards getting back on my track - both writings by an artist. I have saved the heart deferred paragraph. It will become my morning read/reminder to help me retake control of my own time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love this post, dear Brenda! Thank you for always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ... encouraging words at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is such an issue for me! I try to be intentional with my time, and then, slip down rabbit holes...I'm actively working on my growth and improvement in this area...I appreciated your firm advice: Changing thinking, yes. Thank you, Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I struggle too. The world is a very busy place with so many things that are tugging at her time. We have to fight to keep creativity it in our life!
      ❤️

      Delete
  8. See, some people have a lot of extra time now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends... I’ve had numerous workshops, shows and gatherings canceled. Now I have time to jump into projects because I have time...not extra time, just time.
      Hugs

      Delete
  9. Brenda, your bird sketch inspired me to try something similar since I have a lot of time on my hands during "social distancing". My little bird is glass and doesn't have a mate, but he had some friends. https://isketch4fun.blogspot.com/2020/03/sketching-at-home-during-lockdown.html

    ReplyDelete