Copyright Notice

© Copyright 2023 Brenda Swenson retains copyrights to all images (artwork and reference photographs). All images on this site are property of Brenda Swenson and may not be used in any way for commercial, financial or personal use without written consent. Brenda Swenson retains all rights to republication (printed and digital) and anything but personal viewing of artworks. www.SWENSONsART.net

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Becoming Boone, Part #2

--- Bring Him Home ---
What were we going to do? We had a sick kitten, family waiting in Tennessee and a plane flight home to California in 4 days. I called my son in Tennessee and said we had a “small” delay and we’re running a few hours behind…and by the way do you have a 24 hour animal hospital near you?

Next we drove to the nearest pet supply store and got a litter box, food, water, bowls, flea drops, flea comb, a couple toys. Mike rearranged our suitcases, workshop supplies and sketch bag in the back seat. I now had a litter box at my feet, food and water bowls on the floor…and an exhausted little creature searching the car for a place to…do his business! Obviously he didn’t know what a litter box was. Let’s say he caught on quick (I was only slightly soiled in the experience). Now we had windows open for fresh air, handy wipes for clean up and cruising down the road. A few miles down the road my son called with the number of an emergency animal clinic in his town. We had a new destination!

We arrived at the Knoxville Pet Emergency Clinic a couple hours later. I felt a huge sense of relief…we would have some answers. We filled out papers, gave them our payment info and sat in the waiting area. We were called into an examination room and a tech came in to take his vitals. She wasn’t the most gentle person and I could see he was afraid. When the tech left the room Mike bundled him up and restored the kitten’s sense of safety. About 15 minutes later the veterinarian, Christine Kline came in the examination room. She had a gentle manner, scratched his chin and got acquainted gently. We told her where we found him, our concerns, travel situation. She needed to do tests before we could discuss the future. She bundled him in a towel and took him to the back room for blood tests, dilate his damaged eye, an exam….and we waited.
Stillman & Birn sketchbook, 10x8 tinted paper 

She estimated him at being 6 months old and very small for his age. There was good news and bad news. The good news: he did NOT have FeLeuk or FIV (cat diseases).  There was hope for the little kitten! The bad news: he was dehydrated, had a respiratory infection, ear mites, fleas, laceration on his foot and permanently blind in his right eye. She followed up with…he’s a sweet kitten and will get better. We reminded her or our situation and living across the U.S. She gave us the name of a shelter in the area. Mike and I looked at each other and didn’t like the idea. We had already been down that path earlier in the day. If we found a place that would accept him it was very likely he would be euthanized. Who would want to adopt him in his current health? And we were getting attached. She asked if we wished to have him treated? We said yes. She wrote out 3 prescriptions: Drops for his ears, ointment to sooth his damaged eye and antibiotics for his respiratory infection. 

We went to the waiting area to pay our bill and pick up his medicine. As we sat their Mike and I talked. We tried to make sense of the situation we had gotten ourselves into. The kitten was on our lap purring loudly and so very happy. We had one more question for the veterinarian.  What paper work do we need to take the kitten home with us on the plane? She said it would take two weeks for him to be well enough to fly due to his respiratory infection. TWO WEEKS?!!! 
He would also need all his shots for the required  health certificate.  We had a flight to catch in four days and I had a workshop to teach in 10 days! I felt like we hit another road block.

All three of us got back in the car. I called the hotel and asked, are you pet friendly? The answer was yes. So we headed to the hotel, checked in, carried in our suitcases, litter box, cat food and a the kitten. I got cleaned up. too. Clean clothes felt good. We were half a day late but we arrived in time to have dinner with my son and family.

For the next three days we visited with family and took in the sights of Knoxville, TN: zoo, national park, downtown…but at night we returned to the little guy waiting for us. Each day he got stronger and stronger. The medicine was doing its work! The stronger he got the bigger his personality got…he was so cute!

There was a large uncomfortable question looming over us.  What were we going to do when it came time to fly home? On the second morning Mike woke up and said, do you have a solution yet? I said no, do you? With a cute smile he said, yes. We’re gonna drive home.

All the sudden what looked like a problem became a new and wonderful adventure that would take us all the way across the United States with a little kitten in the back seat… Two days later we traded in our rental car for something more comfortable, loaded up our suitcases, litter box, cat food, dishes…and headed towards home. On this day I named him Boone…the city where the adventure began.

Part 3… The Long Road Home.

If you missed Part 1 click here

Happy Travel,
Brenda

51 comments:

  1. I love you! Such a sweet story. We need more caring people in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL! Oh, those orange boys, you know? Yeah, you do know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry happy tears! I am so glad that Boone found his way to such caring people with huge hearts. I'm so looking forward to Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you opted to drive home and give Boone a chance to get better. A cat that's recently been sick shouldn't be vaccinated yet, their immune system needs time to catch up.
    And you and Mike are just the sweetest!
    Looking forward to part 3.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so right!! He was in a weak state and the shots would of risked his already fragile body. So glad we had enough wiggles space in our schedules to drive across United States. 💕

      Delete
  5. Ohhh... a bunch of tears just went into my dinner!!! I already loved your arty style (SBS a fabulous class!) but now I love you for this sweet rescue!!! PS, I have a beloved dog scooped out of a kill shelter in St. Thomas.VI.(good people who do their very best for the animals) She is Canada Dog now. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheryl, I love happy tears! I can tell you have a tender heart for our fur-babies 💕

      Delete
  6. Thank you Brenda...loving little Boone's story~

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is said that when a cat appears in our lives it's for a reason. In general we don't save its life. He/she saves ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, A lot of wisdom and truth in those words ❤️

      Delete
  8. So glad you kept little Boone =^•^= Wish you all the best of luck and fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who could possible mind this diversion from watercoloring called "life", lol! I am soooo looking forward to Part 3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giving any living creature the chance of a good life is an amazing gift to be able to give!! We have two rescue cats and they are dear family members. What you did was quite a mission!! I love happy endings. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Azra, I’m thankful we had the time and money to help the little guy. We’ve been blessed by the experience ❤️

      Delete
  11. Hi

    I don´t normally answer these kind of letters, I don´t know how to write in english and I don´t know you really. :D But I have to say this story got to my heart. We have 3 cats , taken from cat-shelter, and your journey with this cute kitten make me belive in humans and the kindness of people.

    Boone is adorble and I think you have made the right choice. And the beautiful pictures of you two with him makes my heart melt. Much love from Sweden.

    Regards Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia,
      Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts. The world can be so unkind. I believe kindness lives in all of us. We need to hear more stories of love, kindness and selfless acts of mankind.

      Sending love and hugs from California!
      Brenda

      Delete
  12. So many happy tears! What a beautiful story of love. Melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my. That little kitten was put in your path for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is SO SO wonderful to read about love.
    I am so worn out from reading about violence and poor decisions and bad government.
    Just a little story like this can just life one's spirits. Thank you for sharing. What a change from first picture to last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny,
      I'm grateful to hear Boone's story lifted your spirts. I wish the news channels would put more effort in reporting the kindness in the world...not constantly giving time to the ugliness. Kindness and selfless acts are every where. We so desperately need to hear about it! ~Hugs

      Delete
  15. God put that kitten in just the right hands! How lucky Boone is to be a part of such a loving, kind, and compassionate family. I can tell you feel equally blessed. I volunteered at a no-kill Sheltie rescue and the story each animal brought in with them regularly broke my heart, but each adoption helped to rekindle a bit of faith in humanity. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Bless your heart. Thank you for giving of your heart and time to the no-kill shelter. We need more kind and uplifting stories in our world. ~Hugs

      Delete
  16. Great story....love him. Looks like my boy when we found abandoned by his mother at 2 weeks old. Ginger and fluffy like Boone. Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bix, Two weeks old!!! I imagine he needed a lot of care for a creature so very tiny. Sounds like you became his mommy. ~Hugs

      Delete
  17. Brenda, I don’t know if you are into children’s story books but it sounds to me that this could be a hit. I can picture your beautiful drawings illustrating the story. Definitely a best seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, great idea! I would like to buy several copies of such a book for gifts!

      Delete
    2. It interesting how many people have suggested the idea of a children's book! Only thing missing is publisher who would want to invest (wink). Who knows it could happen!

      Delete
  18. Even already knowing Boone's story from Facebook, it is awesome to read it again like this! I look forward to Part 3. What a lucky kitten! You and Mike are good people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, On Facebook it was to share the adventure as it was unfolding. Now I have time to tell the bigger story. He's quite a cat! ~Hugs

      Delete
  19. This will make a delightful book. It is a story of how we always can find a way to love and nurture. Your renerings of Boone are magical, especially his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a wonderful story! You should consider making it into a book with your watercolor sketches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing story Brenda. You and your husband were meant to find Boone. I'm sure there aren't many people who would have put their lives on hold the way you did for him. He's a lucky little guy to have you both. I agree with Jansi, you should make this wonderful story into a book with your watercolors. I can't wait to read your next post about Boone. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thank you for the kind words. Many people want to see this story in a book...who knows where that will go but it's fun to share his story with you and my followers. ~hugs

      Delete
  22. This is such a wonderful story full of love. You and Mike are such kind and wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I'm loving this story. Since last summer I've nursed back from the brink of death - literally - 4 barn kittens and found loving homes for them, had surgery on another barn kitten who got bit by my dog, brought that kitten and another one in to live with me because they have a condition called Cerebellar Hypoplasia (CH) and couldn't/wouldn't survive outside and today they are getting spayed and neutered. Those two are the sweetest, most incredible cats ever. You will find, and I believe this with all my heart, that God puts these animals with whom He feels can benefit the most from having them in their lives. You will so find this true. Enjoy and I can't wait for part 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo,
      Wow you've had your hands full caring for, finding homes and adopting these little creatures into your family. It's no small tasks!!!! I agree, these creatures are placed in our lives by God. We have had 17 cats over the last 30+ years. All but one was a rescue. Our lives are richer and fuller because of them.
      Big hug!!!

      Delete