Copyright Notice

© Copyright 2023 Brenda Swenson retains copyrights to all images (artwork and reference photographs). All images on this site are property of Brenda Swenson and may not be used in any way for commercial, financial or personal use without written consent. Brenda Swenson retains all rights to republication (printed and digital) and anything but personal viewing of artworks. www.SWENSONsART.net

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Continual Line Contour



I've been using "continual line contour" drawing for so long I've forgotten when I learned how. I can tell you it has changed the way I see, draw and paint. I've learned more about observing edges, measuring, overlapping and page placement than any other approach. 
   
In my workshops (sketching, illustrated journal or plein air workshop) I start by demonstrating and teaching this technique. At first students might feel hesitant. But by the end of the workshop I have won them over.  

I keep a collection of props on hand and I ask students to bring props to the workshop too. The more variety the better: jars, kettles, paint tubes, brushes, mugs, wooden and metal tools, artificial flowers, vegetables. 
During the workshop I use a timer so the drawings don't become too involved or precious.  It’s funny how the mind acts when you use a timer…absolute and complete focus! We start by drawing: 1 object in 3 minutes, 2 objects in 6 minutes, 3 objects in 10 minutes. All drawing is done from life (no photos). Once we get comfortable with drawing we begin painting.

Here's a workshop demo:

During the drawing keep your pen on the paper as long as possible. Yes, I said PEN! This exercise will teach you to slow down, look longer and be more certain of shapes, size and edges. There will be a certain amount of distortion to the drawing but I consider this part of the charm.  Continual Line Contour is a good exercise no matter how long you've been drawing. 

Here's a short video I made showing, "Continual Line Contour". I usually work from life but in the video I use a photo so my view would be the same as the viewers. If the video doesn't play click on the link: https://youtu.be/eIVjtb5yQ9Q


"Art like life, is knowing where to draw the line".  Happy Sketching!
Brenda




12 comments:

  1. Your contour drawing video was so helpful to me! This really helped me to see how you do a contour drawing. I think the hardest thing for me has been realizing that anything I draw doesn't have to look exactly like the photo or scene. Thank you for sharing.

    Angel W

    Angel W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video! Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to try this technique myself since I really like your artwork and style. (Perhaps some of your artistic genius will wear off on me??? ) Anyway, I was wondering if you could let us all know what pen you were using in your video. I'm sure you've tried a lot of pens over the years and have winnowed them down to the best one for contour drawing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing your art with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristina, My pleasure 😊 Thank you for saying so. ~Brenda

      Delete
  4. Hi Brenda,
    Thank you for all your wonderful and easily accessible information. I do have one question. I have a Lamy Fountain Pen I just purchased (not used yet) but for the purpose of using it with my watercolor paints. I don't want anything that will bleed or run, so it has to be permanent ink. Is the Noodler's brand in the Lexington Grey a permanent ink? Thank you,
    Dione in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dione, Sorry...I don't know. Have you checked the Noodler's website? I'd start there or at www.gouletpens.com
      Brenda

      Delete
  5. "Drawing is simply a line going for a walk." Paul Klee, artist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, Thank you! I've always love that quote and now I know who said it 😊

      Delete
  6. Hello :) I'm just starting to find my passion in watercolor after 51 years of not knowing what medium I should attempt. I've never taken a class, minus high school, and I have been combing youtube and learning from different masters. I really love your style and have been leaning more towards impressionism. I have many questions but I will keep this to one. How do I hone in on my sketching skills, since I'm just an "ok" sketcher. I have a bit of arthritis in my knuckles from cutting hair my whole life. Is there any way to improve my sketches, exercises or videos to watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best advice I can give anyone who wants to be a better artist is the same. Draw from life everyday and draw with pen. It teaches people to slow down, look longer and be observant. I doubt this is the answer you want. But it's how I became the painter/sketcher I am today.

      Impressionism is a style that is achieved after many, many years of painting. So be patient. Get the basics down first. Take classes with teachers that have a good reputation and you trust.
      Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  7. You wrote obout me: "In my workshops (sketching, illustrated journal or plein air workshop) I start by demonstrating and teaching this technique. At first students might feel hesitant. But by the end of the workshop I have won them over." :-) Thank you for all your lessons. Big hug from Norway. Cheers Anna

    ReplyDelete