Copyright Notice

© Copyright 2023 Brenda Swenson retains copyrights to all images (artwork and reference photographs). All images on this site are property of Brenda Swenson and may not be used in any way for commercial, financial or personal use without written consent. Brenda Swenson retains all rights to republication (printed and digital) and anything but personal viewing of artworks. www.SWENSONsART.net

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Don't Carpet Your Rut


"Don't carpet your rut". The quote reminds me not to get to comfortable doing the same thing over and over.

How many ways can I represent a subject but say it differently? The answer...endless.

I enjoy exploring new ways of expressing myself with
different techniques, tools and materials. Instead of always relying on the same technique I sketch the same subject but different ways. Tools are many: pen, pencil, watercolor, gouache, acrylic… Techniques are many: contour (blind and continual line too), crosshatch, stipple... I am sure you can add to the lists!



The California poppy is a flower that’s recognizable not only for its bright orange color but also for its shape. Here is a fun example of numerous ways to explore techniques using one subject.

I encourage you to find something to draw/paint. Get out your supplies and see how ways you can show the subject in a new way. I've only scratched the surface. The drawings don't need to be very big (3x5 or 4x6).

I'm curious to hear how many sketches you can come up with. Trust me you'll begin to see the world with new eyes.

Happy Sketching!

Brenda

7 comments:

  1. You are always open-minded and growing toward being a better and more evolved Brenda, Your eye always sees possibility and you interpret the world with a beautiful mind....the thing that is most precious to me about you, is how you are able to translate your experience of growing in life through pen and paint, and then make it into a very well prepared class. Your understanding of perspective is amazing. A poppy is never just a poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great tips Brenda! I will have to start mixing up my sketching styles...

    Brienne M Brown :)

    ReplyDelete