Monday, February 6, 2017

Habits for Success

Every once in a while I read something that goes to my heart and stays with me a long time. When I came across quotes by John Di Lemme I was struck with how his words hit home.

Habits for Success
by John Di Lemme
"I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden. I will push you onward or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half the things you do you might just as well turn over to me and I will be able to do them quickly and correctly. I am easily managed--you must merely be firm with me. Show me exactly how you want something done and after a few lessons I will do it automatically. I am the servant of all great men, and, alas, of all failures as well. Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of a machine plus the intelligence of a man. You may run me for a profit or run me for ruin--it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am a habit!"



I've wondered if my constant desire to sketch and record my world is obsessive? I've sketched on planes, trains, and automobiles. I sketch in churches, courtrooms, hospitals, grocery stores, laundry rooms, kitchens and hotel rooms. I've sketched from roof tops and mountain tops, from scaffolding and street corners. I sketch to celebrate joyful births and painful deaths.  I sketch my dinner, coffee, dessert... 
I think I have a habit.  Looks like I had it right after all!  

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a great post! Love this quote! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, Thank you for the really nice comment.
      Happy sketching!
      Brenda

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jansi, It's a good one to save and reread. Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful quote! Copying and posting on my inspiration board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! Thank you for the quot. it encourages me to get back in there and sketch and paint. I've not been too motivated for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, We all hit slumps and need a little inspiration. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Love your sketches of the plain and ordinary and thank you for the quote. Had to post it on my Facebook page for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post!!! So true! Thanks for sharing this author, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to toot my husband's horn - HE does the laundry (including ironing) so that I can strengthen my painting habit! Loved this post, the drawings & the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, He sounds like a great guy..toot away!

      Delete
    2. Hi Brenda, I just came upon your blog. Love it! The sketch you posted Feb. 6th reminded me of something in my old autograph book... At the end of 8th grade, my classmates and I wrote in each other's autograph book. One girl wrote in mine: "Remember the girl from the city, remember the girl from the town, remember the girl who spoiled your book by writing 'round and around." And of course, she wrote in a circle, like you did in your Feb. 6th sketch. Happy art-ing! Karen, Sew Small Studio.

      Delete
  8. Your posts are very thoughtful and I always glean something valuable from them. I am always excited to see a post from your blog. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami,
      Thanks for the affirmation that what I write and share touches lives.
      ~Hugs

      Delete