Monday, July 6, 2015

Life is Full

What a summer it has been...and its only just begun! 

June started with a family reunion. My husband's family gathered at the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri. We played on the boat, cruised the lake, miniature golf, took walks, and I sketched. A highlight of the trip was meeting up with Cathy Johnson. What a joy to meet this woman in person and sketch together.

Next came a sketching road trip up the Northern California Coast. We traveled along the historic Highway 1 and 101. My sketching buddy Judy joined me for a full week of driving, sight seeing, sketching, sketching, sketching... We stopped in many little towns and sights along the way: San Rafael, Valley Ford, Fort Ross, Mendocino, Jenner,
Fort Bragg, Pt. Cabrillo Lighthouse, Ferndale...and final destination Trinidad. The highlight of the trip was meeting up with my son Thomas and his lovely lady Lisa. He is a commercial fisherman bringing home fresh salmon, lingcod, halibut... It took some scheduling to pull him off the water but we had a wonderful evening together. I even had a chance to sketch his beautiful little boat, the Sangria.

Last week I joined a group of fellow painters for three days of painting en plein air. We met in Beaumont, California. The location was beautiful in every sense of the word. Lavender fields stretched for acres all around the grounds. The lovely scent of lavender being harvested was heavenly. Yes, the weather was hot, hot, HOT! The first day reached 99 degrees in the shade but  plenty of water and a nice breeze made it more than comfortable. 
Last weekend we celebrated 4th of July the old fashion way. I enjoyed being with family, watching a small town parade, lunch with together and watched fireworks exploding in the sky long into the evening.

After a year that has been heavy with sorrow I feel like a bird stretching my wings and taking flight again. The gray veil of sadness has lifted and I feel the joy and warmth of summer around me. The joy of creating art restores my spirit in a way nothing else can. I am so grateful for this life I live, the family I have, and fellow artists and students who enrich my world. Thank you!

This week I drop off paintings at the Brea Gallery for the "Into the Light, Plein Air Invitational", next week I teach a Negative Painting workshop at my STUDIO, next I teach a workshop at Cheap Joe's, ... the final workshop of the year is October 26-28, Stained Paper Collage with Watercolor.  ~Life is full

Happy Painting!
Brenda

7 comments:

  1. Wow, great to see you and Cathy together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a life-filled post! And what a wonderful summer you're having! I'm so glad you're feeling restored and joyful. It was nice to see glimpses into your sketchbook again. I just love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sketches. Thanks for sharing your lovely summer with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy seeing your sketches and how wonderful to see them from your sketch book.Thank you for sharing them.
    Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post , pleasur to read, , greeting from Belgium in Mons

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so admire your paintings and journals. I am attending your workshop at Joes in August and looking so forward to meeting you!
    Kay A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, I'm looking forward to the workshop, too. It's one of my favorite places. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete