Thursday, April 2, 2015

Spring Has Arrived

I stumbled upon the Arlington Gardens a few years ago.  I was running errands when out of nowhere I caught a burst of color. I pulled my car over to explore the site...Since 1961, the 3 acre lot was vacant. The site was slated to be been a staging area for the construction of the 710 Freeway. Over time the land became overrun with weeds, dirt, trash and dead trees. On that day  I found an Artistic Eden!



I eagerly await for spring to arrive at the gardens. Once I see a hint of colorI might visit numerous times a week. After church on Sunday Mike and I pick up lunch and have a little picnic. I am here to tell you...SPRING has arrived at the Arlington Gardens! On my morning walk I went to the gardens. I was expecting a little splash of spring colors but what I saw overwhelmed my senses with color, smells and beauty. God is the most magnificent gardener!  I couldn't drink in enough of the lovely scents and colors.

I highly recommend you visit the Arlington Gardens if you live in the Pasadena area. It's easy to find. It's on Arlington between Orange Grove and Pasadena Ave. 

Below is information t from their home page.www.arlingtongardeninpasadena.org  


  

Arlington Garden is open every day of the year for visiting at no charge. Individuals, families, students, artists, photographers visit Arlington Garden daily for education and enjoyment. The Garden’s layout and moveable furniture invite people to come in and stay rather than be quickly ushered in and out.

Arlington Garden is a demonstration of successful water wise gardening in Pasadena’s Mediterranean climate. Pasadena needs plant life that does well in our wet winters, hot, dry summers, and temperate falls and springs, to demonstrate how beautiful and effective a garden in harmony with our climate can be. Arlington Garden is home to
350 trees and thousands of Mediterranean climate plants that do well  low to moderate watering, and features California natives, cactus and   South African and Australian natives, irrigated by low flow devices that use less than half the water demanded by traditional parks.Arlington Garden is a place to find serenity in an urban setting. Arlington Garden has brought the serenity of nature to the City. A classical seven circuit labyrinth, a raised urbanite poppy set in the middle of the meadow, paths winding through trees and plants, and benches set throughout the Garden allow one to stroll or sit and experience some peace and quiet.




Happy Painting, Gardening 
and Happy Easter!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful garden and such beautiful paintings! Spring is trying to arrive here in Ohio, but it's still a little fickle--nice days in the 60s but still close to freezing at night.

    By the way, is that one of the garden's chairs you have your work propped up on, or one of yours? If it's yours, can you tell me anything about it? I'm looking for one with a back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, The chair is great for sketching and I've taken it all over the country with me. It's called a Roll-a-Chair and is light weight, has four legs, a backrest and very comfortable. Here's a link:
      http://www.campspecialties.com/#Roll-a-Chair

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link; it looks great! Happy Easter!

      Delete
  2. Looks beautiful there. Spring is just starting, here in Ohio. Happy Easter to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures, we are into spring as well but not as far along as you. Thanks for sharing . Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful paintings and gardens! The colors in your palette look wonderful, do you mind sharing the kind and colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, Good question. The truth is I've made some big changes to my palette...after many years. I'll be writing a blog post about it soon. I can tell you I've switch most of my paint colors to the Daniel Smith Watercolors. Stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply, I am excited about your upcoming post, My art group is making a DS group order next week-(saving postage) probably too soon for the blog post, but still I look forward to it!!

      Delete