Saturday, August 30, 2014

Negative Painting with Watercolor





















Last weekend I taught a Negative Painting Workshop for the Mountain Arts Network, in Lake Arrowhead. The final day I began a painting demonstation but got busy helping everyone complete their paintings and didn't finish my demo. I don't mind, since the reason I was their is to help my students learn.

I thought it would be a good teaching opportunity to show where a painting starts and the final piece. The pencil drawing is on Arches 140lb cold press watercolor paper. The underpainting is done wet into wet. The three colors in the under-painting are: Quinacridone Sierra (Daniel Smith), Leaf Green (Holbein) and French Ultramarine (Daniel Smith). The underpainting stage of  painting is the least control-able and the most exciting!

View the short video below to learn more and see the final negative painting.
If you experience a problem viewing the video use this link: http://youtu.be/t5lvkp-PeBU

Happy Painting!
Brenda

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Want to try this one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting, thanks for sharing the video close up of the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your wonderful video of your gorgeous work. I so appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will enjoy trying to do this from your demo...Looks fantastic! B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Brenda. Love the subject matter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Brenda - this was wonderful - you make negative painting seem so easy - why then is it so hard for me (LOL)!

    ReplyDelete