Sunday, August 17, 2014

Just Start!

3 Minute Contour Drawing
In my workshops I often see participants so worried about the end product that they can’t even begin. To grow as an artist it is essential to keep moving forward…no matter how scared you are. Fear is crippling…if you let it control you! To master your fear JUST START! Even if you have to paint your way out of a mistake…at least you're moving.

In my watercolor sketching workshop I use this technique to get the creative ball rolling.

Line & Watercolor, 20 minutes
When students arrive (especially the first day) I find they are hurried, tense and very self conscience. This is not the mindset to be creative...my solution is using a timer. We start with multiple pen drawing exercises (3 minutes) and quickly move into color. The timer has a way of keeping the group focused and moving forward. It is amazing to see how quickly people begin to laugh and most importantly…relax. It only takes 20 minutes (or less) to feel the energy in the room become positive and creative. This is when great things begin to happen!

Teaching is a privilege I take seriously. I am always looking for new and 
different ways to teach, inspire, and encourage. When I see the light go on in student’s eyes...I've done my job!

Happy Sketching!
Brenda


8 comments:

  1. Oh Brenda - you have you have you have!! LOVE your work and so hope you'll do another SBS class again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, so perceptive. Thanks Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what happened to the previous post I was in the midst of writing, but it's lost in cyberland. I was a student in your class in Sketchbook Skool and enjoyed each teacher immensely. I'm one of those paralyzed by fear. After taking the classes I'm even more fearful. I haven't so much as picked up a pen or pencil to complete any of the homework in any of the 6 classes. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating and painful this is. I can totally embrace mentally all that you say, doing/acting is another story altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I don't want to hurt your feelings...If these emotions are slipping over into other areas of your life you may have something else going on. Sounds like anxiety.

      Delete
  4. I think perhaps you're right. I have just learned that my daughter is in liver failure. Lots of personal stuff going on that I have no control over and can't fix in any way. Life can be quite messy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, Sorry for the difficult events in your life. I've had a tough year, too. There is very little we have control over...accept our attitude. Hang in there. Hugs

      Delete