Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

I am writing this as I hear blimps flying overhead and the faint sound of marching bands in the distance. People from all over the country are lined up along Colorado Blvd in Pasadena watching the Annual Rose Parade. I live walking distance from the parade and Rose Bowl. I enjoy sketching  the floats in the "Float Barns" up close days before they travel along the parade route. For thirteen years I have sketched them. It's a wonderful tradition and to see them decorated with flowers, seeds, bark, spices...
Rotary Club Float
Western Asset Management Co. Float...Trophy winner!
 Happy Sketching!
Brenda

10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Love the sketch. It all sounds like lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL! While watching the parade I wondered which floats you sketched.....they were all so creative and
    awesome. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU & YOURS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard to select which one to sketch...not enough time to do them all ;)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you get the opportunity to sketch these every year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific, Brenda! I remember the ones from last year, and was looking forward to seeing what you sketched this time. I love the cover page and the giraffe float. I wish I could have been there to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was watching the Rose Parade with my husband, I was telling him how you sketch some of the floats behind the scenes every year. So I was thrilled to see your post so I could show him! Your sketches inspire me!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear that people remember my sketching traditions. Thanks, Deb!

      Delete
  7. Delightful… lucky you to live so close and to have access to the floats to sketch them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful sketches!!! My great aunt Flora Belle was in the Rose Parade on the W.A.S.P. float (Women's Airforce Service Pilots). :)

    ReplyDelete