Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Illustrated Journal of Tuscany


I've been home from Tuscany a few weeks and I'm still on a creative high. Nothing like spending an extended time focused only on sketching and painting! Nothing to worry about...no house cleaning, grocery shopping, appointments, yard work, bills to pay, errands to run, email to answer... When your only concern is about being creative the mind is free to stretch and reach into greater chambers of creativity.

This was my fourth workshop in Tuscany and I was returning to many of my beloved locations Florence, Lucca, San Gimignano...I didn't want my illustrated journal to look like my prior trips to Tuscany. A couple days before I left I gave some serious thought to how this book would be different.


A few ideas that I came up with:
Different Drawing Tool

My favorite pen is the Pitt by Faber-Castel with black ink. This time I would use a fountain pen with brown ink (Noodler's Polar Brown).

Different Drawing Technique

 I usually stick to contour drawing.This time I would use more crosshatch to suggest texture and shadows.

Local-Color

I have a tendency to LOVE color. This time I wanted my sketches to reflect the true colors of Tuscany. Colors needed to be muted, red tile rooftops needed touches of green to show moss and liken, the trees needed more blue and less yellow...
Page Design

Usually I keep a similar layout throughout a trip with the date on top, name of village in large writing... This time I worked to have each page be unique in layout, font style...

Writing content

In the past my travel journals read like a travel log (up at 6:00am, depart at 8:30 for San Gimignano...). This time I wrote more about the history, people, culture...

Next year I'm returning to Tuscany and I'm already thinking of ways I can be more creative and inventive with watercolor.
Details here: Tuscany En Plein Air October 20-30, 2014


Happy Sketching!
Brenda

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always Brenda!!, love the crosshatch:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that with all of your beautiful skills, you continue to challenge yourself. These samples are gorgeous; I especially like your window. It jumps off the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must continue to stretch and grow...or boredom will set it. I never want to lose my passion for creating!,

      Delete
  3. Oh Brenda... I wish you'd consider publishing your travel journal. I'd buy it in a flash. The big chicken is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check back in a few months... I might make a copy. The chicken was so cute that I was delighted when Katinka gave him to me.

      Delete
    2. The window and the chicken are my faves - lovely colors, vivid hues, delightful studies. I'd buy your travel journal too, Brenda. I study your use of color for hours. Glorious!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful effusive thoughts. Sure makes one want to join in on your trips!! Congratulations on the article in the Plein Air Magazine. It's a well deserved mention!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, are you talking about the issue Dec/Jan 2013?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and exciting! Love the chicken too~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas for your journal pages this year! I really enjoyed seeing what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eye candy! Lovely pictures. I do hope you'll publish your travel journals. The trip must have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the lovely comments...great fun to share the adventure with all of you!
    Happy Sketching!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some great ideas for keeping it fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Thanks for sharing how you stretched yourself!

    ReplyDelete