Monday, July 8, 2013

Bits of Color

I find it refreshing to change my materials and work in a completely different fashion now and again. Some days I work in purely transparent watercolor and other days I'll play with ink and watercolor, tinted paper...collage. Well, for a couple weeks now I've been working in collage, again. Changing my materials forces me to get out of my comfort zone. I once heard someone say, "Don't carpet your rut"...I love that!!! When I get too comfortable I become bored, and when I get bored my artwork gets boring. The type of collage I do is called "stained paper collage with watercolor". I use my favorite medium WATERCOLOR but I approach the painting in a completely different manner. It's exciting to me.

Has this technique peaked your interest? If so,  you'll
like this. Over the last couple years I've written and demonstrated collage for Watercolor Artist Magazine and North Light Books. This morning Artist Network posted their free online magazine called Inspired, created by Anne Hevener, Kelly Kane, and Beth Williams. Included is one of my best collage demonstrations. The layout and colors are even better than the printed version. The painting/collage happens to be, The Forbidden Fruit. It's the piece that was included in last years NWS Exhibition. Here's a link to the Summer edition of Inspired, a free e-mag from ArtistsNetwork.com

Happy Painting!
Brenda




9 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. Your stained paper collages have so much depth. Thanks for sharing the magazine link so I could follow your process.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such an inspiring post and the link to your great process, am looking forward to trying some collage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work and thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis post was refreshing. Love it and love Japenese papers. Also appreciated the intro to the online magazine. Your piece looked great. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collage looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing the information about how you've done it

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to do something different and love your selection of work here on your blog. I went to an art tutor who gave us this saying 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got'. I haven't forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice comments...it's fun to share new techniques!
    Happy Painting, Collage, Sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brenda,
    I've come across your blog through FB and read some of your interesting and moving posts you have written. I don't know you but the way you express your feelings makes me feel close and familiar to you. I'm glad about your son's improvement. This is the best news a mother can ever receive.
    Thank you very much for your kind generosity and honesty to share your feelings and speak from the bottom of your heart. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, Thank you for the kind and heart felt message. My blog has evolved a lot in the last couple years. I expected it to be a place to share teaching and creativity. I never expected it to become a forum to open my heart, touch others lives, become connect with fellow artists, and have my son held up in prayer. I am grateful for people like you who have repeatably blessed me. Thank you!

      Delete