Thursday, January 3, 2013

...more Rose Parade Sketches

I got to thinking about the Rose Parade Floats and how many years I have sketched at the Float Barns. How grateful I am....to have experienced these floats up close and personal for ten years now. What a wonderful tradition. I thought I would share a few of my favorite sketches from years past. 

The first year I felt over whelmed with the size of the floats. The ants were more than eight feet tall. I've never sketched an ant from a worms view before (wink).
 I love trucks!!! I was delighted to see an old truck in the parade. To give you an idea how big the floats are, I stood two feet shorter than the front tire. When I finished, I had the float crew sign my sketch.
"Circus Comes to Town".I was instantly taken when I saw the elephant on the front of this float. I love the gesture and pose.



My sketching buddy, Judy graduated from Redlands University. I knew we had to sketch her school's mascot.
 The animated look of this float caught my eye. Titled "The Banana Boat Song". The completed float was dazzling with lots of flowers in bright tropical colors.
This is probably one of the silliest floats I've done. The hippo was suppose to be Cleopatra, and titled "Floating on the River". The pose was very sultry and the angle I had was...a real rump shot. Just as I was finishing up the local newsman and his camera crew came over and started to interview me. It was funny!

Hope you enjoyed the sketches!
Brenda

16 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda,
    You always inspire me. Colours are dancing and jamping cheerfully. Make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hani, Thank you for the kind words! Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  2. These are superb. So interesting too. What a wonderful opportunity for an artist. So envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly, It's so much fun! How often do artists get a chance to play on such a grand scale...not often enough!

      Delete
  3. You continually amaze me, Brenda! How wonderful it is that you share your gift of color with so many of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, Your a sweetheart. Thank you for the nice words. Love you!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Brenda, for sharing your float watercolours. I love each and every one. Happy New Year from Ontario, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo Brenda!
    How I envy you the opportunity to sketch in the float barns. My son's girlfriend's family business has sponsored a float the past few years. She says it's a phenomenal experience to watch a conceptual sketch on her dad's desk morph into a 50+ foot long float making its way down Colorado Boulevard. You certainly must feel like she does!
    Happy New Year!
    Jane from Omaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, A few years ago I did the concept/illustrated for my towns float. I know exactly what your son's girlfriend is talking about...exciting stuff!!!

      Delete
  6. On those sketches where you used pen, could you tell me what pen and what size?
    Also do you do the sketch in pen first or in watercolor first?
    I find seem to feel if I do my sketch in ink first that I am working like a coloring book, filling in spaces and I don't like this feeling. I seem to do better sketching in pencil, painting, and then adding the ink. What do you suggest? The wonderful truck, for instance. What was the sequence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, All of my images with pen drawings done with pens first, no pencils at all. My favorite pens is the Pitt by Faber-Castell in a medium tip.

      Delete
    2. Ginny, When you did the sketch challenge no pencil was allowed...approach this way of sketching the same way. Start simple and as your confidence grows move to more complicated subject matter. Try your hardest not to use pencil first...it makes a difference in your building of skills. Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fun and beautiful sketches. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete