Monday, January 21, 2013

Illustrated Journals


I love my illustrated journals! These books contain everything from mundane tasks, adventures to distant lands, sorrow, and great joy. I consider these books a personal and often private expression of myself. My paintings on the other hand are created for the purpose of showing and selling…to be seen.
Sadness
Recently I heard someone say “what a waste, you can’t sell it”. I was taken back by this remark. To this person it needed to be for sale to be of value. The funny thing is my sketchbooks and illustrated journal are more valuable to ME than my paintings. The best way I can describe it is…a painting is me dressed up and on my best behavior. My sketch journals are …playful, vulnerable, open and honest.
Being Silly
I don’t know if you are like me...growing up I was told to be nice and don’t act ugly. Well let me tell you, there are times in life I don’t feel nice or better put, ugly inside. Years ago I was struggling with a deep hurt…I was depressed. I tried to paint but I didn’t have anything “pretty” inside me…so I ceased to paint. How I missed it! One day I decided to paint how I felt. An amazing thing happened! Once I expressed my feeling with paint the hurt diminished. How can this be? All I know is that once I put it on paper I didn’t have to hold the feelings inside any more. I let go of the hurt.


Travel Journal, Tuscany
Art has a greater purpose than decorating someone’s wall! Give yourself permission to create even if no one else sees it. 

Illustrated Travel Journal
If you would like to know more I'll be teaching a Illustrated Journal workshop February 8, 9, & 10.

For a complete list of workshops please visit my workshop page.

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an inspiration! I'm at the most wonderful place in life just now, but have been in situations such as you described, and I hope to recall your good wise experience should I find myself in a bad place again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fundamental problem with North American society is the notion that worth is only a function of money. We need to push back against that idea as it's killing us in so many ways...sometimes literally.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journal cannot have a monetary value to it. It far surpasses that. What a wonderful journal you have. I was especially touched by the page about your precious mercy. I truly enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, thank you Brenda. I just love your Brownwood, NC piece. I need one of those pens that bleed! Will try to take your next journal workshop in Montrose. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post, Brenda--God bless you richly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the wonderful responses! I hope you will take to heart my words and begin your own journey with paint and pen.
    Happy Sketching!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there were more watercolor artists like you here in my country for me to learn from. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, It is hard going about it without a good teacher. Thankfully the internet provides many people to communicate and learn from.
      Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  9. So true, Brenda! I've only been working in illustrated journals for a couple of years but they are priceless in my eyes. As Larry said, people need to change their attitudes as true value is not about money. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Journaling has saved me, when my last parent passed I had no faily living alone sure does the job on pepoles minds and being sick does not add a sunnyday, but I startrd to learn on my own this art journey and it has saved me with no if ans or buts. I may still be learning and web sights like yours teaches me so much your video is the best and hope you will make more for people who live on a budget and cant afford classes to learn further so please keep this in mind.My jounals my not be show prospects but there my everything fun, sad days finding yourself you name it they are the best. So thank you for all you do Brenda and what you give to people
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, Linda. I am grateful for your words. Art has a way of healing the heart and soul in a way nothing else can. I use my blog as a way to reach out to others and share my own experience and journey. I am touched to know I have made a difference. Art is powerful...it makes my gray days brighter and my bright days glorious!
      Happy Sketching!
      Brenda

      Delete
  11. Brenda...do you have your materials/supplies list for the Dillman's workshop up anywhere that I can go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I emailed you the supply list. Hope you got! ~Brenda

      Delete
  12. I love your sketches! and I can totally relate to your words today. I just like to do informal sketches for myself, and share them with others that might be interested - close family or friends, and blog friends. But, sometimes the only remark I get from my husband is that I should try to sell something. It feels like he doesn't understand my joy in just doing an informal sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I've heard this before, unfortunately. I'm not sure how to explain this to a non-artist. Is your husband a fisherman? If so, what if he had to catch fish to sell. It might take the joy out of fishing.
      Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  13. I just found this post and can so relate to people saying I need to "sell". I love creating art for the meditative process, the journey to myself... To be in the Zen Zone. It has been said that it is such a waste of my talent not to be doing more... meaning selling, etc. I have sold some and happy that people want my art work, though I don't want to create art solely for that reason.

    Thanks Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dabs...exactly!!! People put worth on a dollar value. Creating for the sheer act of creating is worth more than a check in the mail...any day! I don't know how I would of walked through the dark valleys of life without my sketchbooks to help me heal. Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  14. I came across this post today as I was researching and reading about illustrated journals... Enjoyed the post for many reasons, and the example of the entry about Mercy really moved me, as I lost a very similar looking, same sort of temperament and equally fragile guy 8 weeks ago tomorrow... then I looked at the date on the entry and realized today is the 3-year anniversary of Mercy's passing. Thanks for sharing this... it's like an arrow shot in the dark that made a graceful landing. Came across something I really needed to see today via pure serendipity... beautiful. You've inspired me to create an illustrated journal tribute to my guy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete