Wednesday, August 29, 2012

France...continued

After five days exploring the busy city of Paris I was ready to settle into the slower pace of a tiny village, The workshop was based in the quaint village of Limoux. The small village is charming located along the Aude River.

 
The first day I crawled into bed around 11:30 p.m. and realized I didn't have a sketch in my journal, for the day. I sat up in bed and sketched the view before me...kind a fun!

Our days (especially mine) started early. I like waking up early and having quiet time to myself to enjoy my coffee, sketch and review my plan for the day. I am grateful jet lag isn't a problem for me and I switch over really quick. Breakfast each morning was at 8:00 to 9:00. By 9:30 we would be in the vans and on our way. Below are pages from my illustrated sketch journal.

Minerve was selected as one of Les Plus Beaux Villages de France. The main bridge leading into the village is closed to vehicles not owned by residents of Minerve. Visitors are welcome to climb the narrow winding streets that lead past shops with pottery, antiques, and wines. The village is rich with history.

Lagrasse is famed for its Abbey, Medieval houses and streets, book and pottery fairs over the summer months, and a lovely 12th century hump backed bridge. It is a pleasant walk if one leaves the abbey, passing between it and the river - past a series of allotment gardens, to a foot bridge / dam. That provides an excellent swimming spot during the summer months and is a good place to cool off from the climb up the Tower. I sketched the abbey tower as a demo for the group. But my favorite sketch was the cute little car!

One morning I woke to the news... my granddaughter, Nevaeh was born! She came early which had been expected by the doctor....and much to her mommies relief.  The day held a lot of emotions of me. I felt guilty for being so far away and happy she was here safe and sound.

I have more places and sketches to share.
Until next time, Happy Sketching!
Brenda

13 comments:

  1. You are a better woman than I! If I had already tucked into bed at that hour, I'd have stayed there.
    Lovely subject matter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I sleep a lot less when I teach overseas workshop. Burning the mid-night oil is the only way I can keep up with my journal.

      I am looking forward to our sketching adventure in NM!

      Delete
  2. You are a kindred spirit Brenda, I also cannot sleep if there is something that need to be done, wonderful memories !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your blog, and the inspiring pictures you paint. You could make a trash can look beautiful. And oh, what you can do in a tiny French Village!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pages, Brenda. Very inspiring, makes me want to go paint something. I finished making my book yesterday of notes, instructions, and paintings from your Illustrated Journal workshop AND I also made a new journal. Thank you for your wonderful workshop. You are so organized, covered so many great ideas for sketching, painting, and adding text to our journals. I certainly hope you will be planning an Illustrated Journal Two in the future. Thanks for sharing your art with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are inspiring, too! I always enjoy having you in a workshop and I delight in seeing what you create. I enjoyed teaching the Illustrated Journal...it is definitely on next year's workshop schedule!
      Happy Sketching!

      Delete
  5. Great to see your sketch book as it inspires me to sketch more. I just returned from the trip to the Med and spent sometime in Aix en Provence. so now my photos must be turned into paintings Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, Aix en Provence is on my list of places to sketch. I imagine you had a wonderful time.
      One of the reasons I sketch is that I find it very difficult to paint from a photo. When I return home I use my sketch and photos together. I just can't get the original feeling from a photo, alone.
      Happy Painting!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to Daniel and Heidi. Please send them my love and hugs. A girl. Wow!
    The sketch books are gorgeous. I've got to get back in that groove again.
    Love,
    Marie Castellano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, Daniel loved your message...hugs back to you!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, sketching live on Paris streets. A dream of mine to have pages like this....but you know I could make them up couldn't I and pretend I was there. Your work is a joy.

    ReplyDelete