Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sketching Trip to Santa Barbara

Sketching trip to Santa Barbara The air was unseasonably cool for Southern California…but I won’t complain. I had three days to do nothing but SKETCH! Early Sunday morning my sketching buddy, Judy arrived. I tucked my suitcase and sketching gear into the car and kissed my husband good-bye. Our first stop we the little town of Carpenteria. We ate breakfast at a little café called The Busy Bee. Every inch of the café was covered in bee paraphernalia (hives, honey jars, bee figurines…) I jotted down a quick sketch in my travel journal before we moved on. We headed on to Santa Barbara and went directly to the Santa Barbara mission. I consider this to be one of the prettiest of the 21 one missions (I have sketched 17 of them so far and each has its charm). We had a wonderful time sketching with the warm sun on our backs. Afterwards we checked into our hotel and deposited our suitcases…We headed out again for one more sketch before the sun went down. We drove north to a little town called Montecito. The wind came up as the sun was going down and we were COLD! It forced me to work quickly, which is often a good thing. No time to over think or over work the sketch. That evening back at the hotel I was able to review my days work and make finishing touches. End to a perfect, first day! Monday morning the forecast was rain. Our plan of attack was get a sketch in before the rain arrived. We decided to sketch part of the Presidio. The building was constructed by soldiers in 1782, four years before the mission. Only small portions of the original fortress remain. We sat under the overhang and had protection from the drizzle. Bus loads of school children came by, along with a fellow artist and his wife. In the afternoon we put away our art supplies and surrender to the wet weather. We visited local art supply stores and galleries. Sunday morning we sketched the Santa Barbara Courthouse. The building is an absolute jewel! Not only is the outside unique and beautiful the inside is, too. Many murals decorate the council chambers. The murals depict history of Santa Barbara. They are utterly beautiful and a must see if you are ever in the area. From the clock tower I had a perfect (and chilly) view of the city. I was wearing many layers and warm gloves but the cold air got to me, and by the end of the day I was worn out. We had dinner at a little Italian restaurant and by 6:30pm we were heading home. I can’t wait till our next trip…

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

18 comments:

  1. Just fabulous!!!! Sounds like a heavenly sketching trip with lots of beauty to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, It was a heavenly trip...and a reward of sorts.

      Delete
  2. Man you are inspiring! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It WAS a lovely respite for us both. Where are we going next?
    Love all your sketches, as you know, but especially the one that was backlit with the setting sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, Where next you ask? I'm thinking somewhere in the South West. How does New Mexico sound? We're gonna need more than 3-days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, wish I could join your sketching trip - but I can now follow you from the other side of the world. I've recently subscribed to your blog and I just love it! and LOVE your paintings. Your work has inspired and motivated me more than any other - I am on to about no. 30 of my sketches. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and talent.
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ros, I created my blog as a way to encourage, teach and inspire others. You're comment warms my heart and lets me know I've "hit the mark".
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. The sketches are wonderful and it sounds like a great little trip. I've decided I must plan one soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Brenda. Very inspiring. I could relate to the cold. I painted at Big Bear Lake last JULY. The wind came up in the afternoon and I was shivering so hard I couldn't control my paintbrush! Love your sketches. You always make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful time and the sketches are amazing! full of atmosphere and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're sketches of Santa Barbara landmarks are really beautiful! SB is high on the list of my favorite places to be in! I especially like the Courthouse painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, Yes, Santa Barbara is a lovely little town with lots of color, red tile roof tops, flowers... I hope you get a chance to visit.

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. All your paintings are beautiful, but I think the first is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to wake up and know all you have for the day is sketching decisions of what and where to sketch, food important also. A dream come true.
    Your trip sounded wonderful.
    Have a great day,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use these trips to recharge my creative battery...important time we ALL need.

    ReplyDelete