Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On the Road Again

…next stop Santa Barbara .

I wish everyone had a great sketching buddy! Judy Schroeder and I are both full time artists. Judy owns and manages The Schroeder Studio Gallery in Orange CA. She also is a wonderful teacher and painter. I am a full time artist, workshop instructor and author of numerous instructional art books. Needless to say we both live very hectic and busy lives. We make it a point to sit down with our calendar early in the year and carve out time for sketching trips. We grab our painting gear say good-bye to our husbands and get out of town!
We look to these trips as a way to recharge our creative battery.
We have gone on road trips to Napa, San Diego, Sedona, a boat to Catalina Island, flown to North Carolina, and a river barge from the Czech Republic to Dresden Germany and lovely Tuscany. I have sketched with many other people but I have never found anyone who is driven as me, accept Judy. Others have joined us only to drop out after half a day.

Our styles are distinctly different but our interest in subject matter is similar. Having a sketching buddy has opened the world to me. Our sketch outings have lasted from one day to 3 1/2 weeks. Judy works faster than me but she is generally happy to do two sketches to my one. We
are drawn to similar subject matter and seem to keep a pace that suits us both.
I can’t say most people would like to sketch and paint as much as we do (more than
once we have had friends join us only to have them drop off quickly). In the evening we finish what we started during the day. Often we will critique each others work. I trust Judy’s friendship and good eye.

I look forward to sharing my renewed energy and sketches when I return.

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Start packing! I'm gonna take my easel...just in case I want to work bigger, too.

      Delete
  2. Have a great time sketching. Your images are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed fortunate. Have a great time! I look forward to seeing your new sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope someday to find that too. It is rare indeed, almost like finding a mate!! Enjoy the trip, the company and the sketching!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you both on your wonderful sketching friendship! I know you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I look forward to our little adventures soooooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful friendship! Very happy for the both of you, have an amazing sketching adventure with Judy; look forward to seeing your work from this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ireland, Thank you...I will definitely share the sketches when I return!

    ReplyDelete