Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Watercolor on Mi-Teintes

I keep a selection of tinted papers in my sketchbook. The paper I use most often is the Mi-Teintes by Canson. It is a pastel paper. The paper has a large content of cotton and handles very much like a piece of 90lb watercolor paper. The colors I like are warm tones and neutral (crème and grays).

A few things to keep in mind when working on a tinted surface…your watercolors will look very different, especially if you use transparent watercolor. The paint will be influenced by the tint of the paper. And use less water so the paper doesn’t buckle too much. Since the paper is tinted you will have no whites to bring a sparkle. I don’t always feel adding white is necessary. I have a small lip gloss container filled with permanent white gouache in my sketch set-up. I don’t keep it on my palette as it dries quickly and becomes useless.

Right now I imagine a few watercolorists are raising their brow when they heard, “WHITE PAINT”. In many circles this is a NO, NO! Well guess what? In my sketchbook anything goes. Here is where I am free to play and break all the rules. Oh what fun!

The last sketch was done on Mulberry paper. Yeah....I'll paint on just about anything. Go ahead give yourself permission to play. You just might love it!

Happy Sketching!
Brenda



5 comments:

  1. What beautiful sketches Brenda. And I'm so happy to read this: "In my sketchbook anything goes. Here is where I am free to play and break all the rules." I can't believe how pedantic some people get over this, but I think you're right - anything goes in your own sketchbook. I use white gel pen in mine if I lose highlights, because it works. White gouache sounds like a great idea, especially for larger areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful sketches, Brenda! And really? No white paint? I guess I'm doing it wrong. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have started bringing along white gouache on my journeys. I put mine in a little bottle that I got at a camping supply store. It holds 2 ounces so I can even take it on the plane. I plan to go to the art supply store today and will add the Mi Teintes to my list! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda,
    I especially like this last one done on Mulberry paper. I've tried watercolor on Canson Mi-Teintes but it seemed like the texture of the paper didn't always work well with the subject matter. Did you find that?
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful sketches. Ambal

    ReplyDelete
  5. The front of Mi-Teintes has more tooth than the back and I prefer the front side. It is fun to try it all!
    Happy Sketching!

    ReplyDelete