Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sketch for you!

I have dozens of watercolor sketchbooks…and I love these books!!! When I sketch I feel freer than when I am working on a larger painting in my studio. Sketching feels like playtime. I sketch for me and paint for others. I paint for national shows, galleries, commissions… Many of my paintings have won awards and earned me signature membership in watercolor societies. After all the purpose of a painting is to been shown and for that reason I feel more inhibited. My sketchbooks mean more to me than any painting I’ve ever done. I am not afraid to try new mediums, techniques, subjects and I can see tangible growth in my work. Within the covers of these books I can see my life. Here is where I am free to express myself with words and images. The pages contain the ups and downs of my life. No painting can do that for me.

With each new sketchbook I wonder where it will lead me, and what lessons I will learn along the way. The first page of a new sketchbook feels a little unnerving and the last page feels a little sad...like the end of a friendship.

Don’t worry about what other people think…sketch for you!

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

14 comments:

  1. Very good advice. I always love people's sketchbooks. I could browse through them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent indeed. I have not restarted a daily sketching discipline, but am keeping a sketch-journal and including things that need to be done, bits from places I have gone and sketches while waiting or of what I am seeing. I need to do MORE, but am doing some. I may go for the Class B Artist License in the future????? I understand that requires doing something artistic EVERYDAY. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post, I'm sure your sketchbooks are gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for expressing what I feel about my sketchbooks! I love your work and it was somehow validating to read how important sketchbooks are to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a joy to browse the sketchbooks you brought with you to the workshop in NC... some with color, some just ink... all of the images delightful to behold. Today is day 12 for me on the 75 day sketch challenge. Day eleven saw some really wonky format lines... the journey continues :-) Thanks for all you do, and sharing your art with us most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the wonderful comments!
    Keep the enthusiasm alive...share the joy & passion of sketching with others.
    Happy Sketching!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always take your advice to heart. It's good to get re-centered after straying into the what do other people think area. Your sketches are so luminous & lovely. (Perhaps the Maine College of Art in Portland could sponsor one of your workshops?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Brenda! You always inspire me to sketch freely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this. I really needed it!

    I do have a question about your Continual Line Drawing process: Is it a "blind" contour, or are we allowed/should we look at our paper? If we can look at our paper, is it 1/2 looking at the paper and 1/2 looking at the subject? What would you recommend? Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WWendi, I think you are getting things confused between "Continual Line Contour" and the "75-Day Sketch Challenge". The sketch challenge requires you use pen (no technique is specified). "Continual Line Contour" is when you draw without lifting your pen off the paper, until you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brenda!! Thank yo so much for getting back to me. Maybe I'm over-thinking things.

    But I'm still not sure if, when doing the Contiual Line Contour (without lifting the pen off the paper) I am looking at both the object and my paper (looking up and down), or only at the subject (not looking at my paper at all)?

    I'm sorry to be so thick-headed. Thank you for clarifying. I'm afraid my blonde is showing, lol!

    And... I can use this technique/process, Continual Line Drawing, for the 75 Day Sketch Challenge?? Nifty!

    Again, thank you s much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WWendi,
    Look at both the object AND paper (looking up and down).
    You can use this and/or any other drawing technique.

    ReplyDelete