Friday, October 7, 2011

Heading to Cheap Joe's Art Stuff

I have only been home a few weeks and I am packing my art supplies and suitcases again!
I am on my way to Boone, North Carolina to teach at Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff. I am teaching a 5-day "Watercolor Sketching Techniques" workshop and I have a full class with 25 people! I am gonna be one tired girl at the end of each day.

They have the best classroom set-up I have ever seen. Everyone has there own real art desk to themselves and every morning new goodies to try out. I have a overhead mirror for demos and a wonderful crew to help out.They even have lunch catered! What a wonderful place to teach, sketch and just have a good ole time. One of my students came in early one morning and made balloon hats for everyone.

Last time Joe (Cheap Joe himself) and I had the best day ever. He took me to all his favorite spots to sketch. We finished off the day having lunch at the Boone Pharmacy. This is where he worked as a pharmacist before turning his time and talents to art and creating Cheap Joe's Art Stuff . He is a darn good artist, too! He has a book called Joe's Journals, the art and tales of a sojourner. I bought his book years before I meethim. His book is a real jewel!









He was a lot of fun and a true Southern gentleman. I hope you enjoy a few sketches from our time together.
Happy Sketching!
Brenda

6 comments:

  1. Oh Brenda...we were not but just a few days from Boone as we drove down the Blue Ridge over the last three days. I just posted from my sketchbook a little sketch of Mabry Mill, VA today. Http://ginnystiles.blogspot.com

    I so so love your Cheap Joe photos and sketches I have been to Boone (to shop) but have not taken a workshop there. Sure wish I was there with you! We are in SC now and headed to Fl where we live in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband grandparents lived in Boone. I loved their country home; it had the best view of the Grandfather Mountain from their front window. My husband remembers when he was very young and they would all go to Singing on the Mountain in the summer months.

    Have a wonderful time. The colors should all be changing about now. It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely wishes...off I go. I have a 2:30 wake up call to catch my flight.

    Happy Sketching!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you offer your sketching class again I would love to take it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fantastic class, hope you have a good time. Great sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The class was a rousing success... Brenda was a delightful instructor, we learned a lot, and had fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete