Monday, September 19, 2011

Reflections of Italy

Home again, Home again!

I have been to Italy four times before... but something was extra special about this trip. I don’t know if it was my physical need of relaxation (to recharge and heal from a recent neck injury), people, food, location or all of the above.


Five days before my workshop began I spent time in the Liguria region of Northern Italy. I enjoyed sketching, hiking, relaxing, eating and sightseeing. I traveled with a good friend/family member, Sheryle. Our destination was the quaint area called, Cinque Terre (5 hill town on the sea). I have been to this area twice before but only on day trips. We stayed in the middle village called Corniglia.


We stayed at Le Terrazze. Our apartment was amazing in every way. Each of our bedrooms had dark green shuttered doors that opened onto a balcony over looking the aqua blue sea to one side and to the right buildings of yellow, peach, and tan dotted against the terraced hillside. Each morning I woke to the sound of church bells playing a hymn. It felt like heaven!




Each day we chose a different village to explore. Some days we hiked and the day we were too sore from the prior days hike we took the train. The hike from Corniglia to Manarola was hot and long and not for the faint of heart…not only was it a “bun buster” but the path was narrow, steep and a slip could be fatal. We visited all five villages (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso) and my sketchbook was my constant companion.The colors of the region are like eye candy to the artist. I am in the process of scanning my sketchbook journal from the trip and I can’t wait to share it!

On the 6th day we said good bye to our charming little apartment and boarded
the train for Pisa. Here we were met by our bus driver Beppe and other members of our group. We traveled by mini-bus (forty-five minutes) to the hill town of Lucca. For the next 11 days was stayed in a beautifully restored 15th century farmhouse named Selva…

I hate to leave you hanging but it was too great of a journey to share all at once. I will share pictures and sketches next time. Stay turned!


Happy Sketching!
Brenda

7 comments:

  1. Brenda,

    Such a lovely sounding experience. I can't wait to see and hear more, especially your sketchbooks.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    Glad that your trip was wonderful, shared with great company, and that you relaxed and got lots of sketching done. Can't wait to see what you did while there. Love the picture of the apartment you stayed in and the descriptions of the sights, sounds, and hikes that you did. Happy that you are back and on your blog. BTW did you carry the roll-a-chair and your bag on the hikes between the villages? How did that work out? Or did you have a back pack for those types of hikes. Thanks, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, Welcome back from your fabulous trip, it's wonderful to read about your sketching adventures. A few years ago two of my many nieces were both traveling in Europe and they 'met' in Cinque Terre. They sent me a postcard which I will someday attempt to paint. Your sketches are lovely, thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the photos and descriptions from your trip.
    Wearer all so enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to leave you a comment awhile back, as I'd mentioned your blog in an entry, but until now I couldn't post comments. I love your work, just bought The Art of Watercolor at B&N. Thank you for your sharing & teaching. Could you come to Maine to give a workshop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It sounds like it was amazing! Can't wait to hear/see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the warm welcome home!

    I plan to show my supplies from my trip in the next posting.

    @Ink and Aquarelle, I would love to teach in Maine. It requires an invitation from an event sponsor who handles all the details on that end. Maybe some day =)

    ReplyDelete