Monday, August 1, 2011

Contour Drawing





There is a big difference between sketching what you see, and sketching what you think you see. The truth is, we spend very little time looking. I want you to slow down enough, to really look around you. I believe you will begin to see things for the first time. During your day, explore with your eyes. Look at the shape of things, what shapes make up the form? How does light effect the edges? Are the shadows long or short?
There’s beauty in a well done line drawing. Contour drawing is direct and honest. Nothing to hide and you can say so much with so little! This is a slower way of drawing. Contour drawing very concentrated and forces you to slow down, and observe a little bit longer. First be aware of the over all shape. Then put your pen on the and only draw the line as you see it…look longer and draw slower. The pen sketch of my studio was done using this technique.

If you would like to challenge yourself, try a continual line contour drawing. In this exercise, find a starting point at which to put your pen on the page and don’t pick it up until you have finished. There can be a bit of distortion working this way, but I think of the distortion as part of the charm. Look at the pen sketch of the pomegranate and pepper. Here you can see a dot where I began and finished the sketch.

Happy Sketching!
Brenda

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips, Brenda. I'm in the challenge and have done several so far. Its a fun exercise when you don't expect a likeness, just concentrating on the subject and drawing it slowly. Hard to do, but what a great way to build skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, The skills you will develop in a very short time is amazing.Nice to hear you are giving it a try. Happy Sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda,
    First: I have your book "Keeping a Watercolor sketchook" and I love it. You are so talented and you really inspire me. I've been in a rut this summer so I'm going to start the Challenge right away-it sounds like just what I need! Also, I enjoyed the info on your palette and color selections. I already have the palette (love it) but I didn't scrub it so that will be my first project. Again thank you for your ideas and information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely comment, thank you!

    Make the challenge a fun experience by keeping it simple and not demanding long periods of time. I look forward to hearing how you're doing.

    Happy Sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is day one, made a new sketchbook yesterday and am off
    to a little cafe around the corner to sketch a beautiful gate and the flowers spilling over the wall! Thank you so much for this challenge and your tips!Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, Sounds like a wonderful sketching location. Have fun with the sketch challenge.

    ReplyDelete