Monday, June 6, 2011

Watercolor on Tinted Paper




































Most tinted surfaces I sketch and paint on are not intended for watercolor. For example, I’ve found that the Canson Mi-Teintes pastel papers handle watercolor nicely, with a little warping. Mi-Teintes has a 65% rag content, a 98 lb. weight and is gelatine sized making it very strong. The paper has two distinct surface textures, one side smooth and the other grainy. The paper is highly receptive and easy to work on.

Rice and mulberry papers can produce wonderful results but are a more difficult surface to work with. Sometimes I will stain the papers in a bath of tea. I like the warm tones of the paper from tea. When dry I cover the paper with a thin wash of acrylic matte medium. The papers are rather delicate to work on.

I’ve found a few companies that make tinted watercolor papers, but I find the expense unnecessary. The tinted watercolor papers I’ve tried are Bockingford and Khadi.

One of the great joys of being an artist is experimenting with new subject matter, formats materials... If you are in a creative rut…try something new!

Happy sketching!

Brenda

1 comment: