Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rearranging Elements


So often we set out to record what is before us in a meticulous fashion right down to every building, tree, rock... The most exciting aspects of being an artist, is being able to create what doesn’t exist! What fun it is, to be able to move mountains and buildings, rearrange the country side, and change the weather with just the flick of my wrist.




















How do I go about rearranging elements?
First I decide what is important in the scene. I’ll select between 3 and 5 elements and draw them simply at the top of my paper. For my painting I selected the lighthouse, flowers, trees and shrubs. Next, I take the elements and arrange and rearrange them in small thumbnail studies. The thumbnail studies are small, generally 2 or 3 inches in size. Here is where I can quickly work out a composition, before I’ve committed time and effort to a painting. Generally 3 to 5 elements in a scene make a good arrangement. I do this until I find an arrangement that excites or inspires me. It takes doing at least 4 arrangements, to get a good feeling for the scene.

True creativity, takes what you know and makes it more than it was.

Happy Painting!
Brenda

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Brenda,
    More times than not I get stuck on leaving details exactly where I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, Here is a tip to keep you from getting hung up on the details. Draw the elements on the top of the page and put the photos away. Once you have the design resolved you may look at the photos again for details or local colors.

    Have fun!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tip. I am going to print this out and tape to my studio wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great and beautiful reminder giving us permission to be the artists that we really are! Thanks Brenda, Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! I love to hear when a tip or technique helped, inspired, or motivated a fellow artist.

    ReplyDelete