Friday, April 1, 2011

Sketching Buddies



Last week I got out of town for a 4 day sketching trip to Ojai, California. My good friend Judy Schroeder joined me. Judy and I have been friends for years and sketching with watercolor has always been the driving focus of our trips. We look at these trips as a way to recharge our creative battery and look for new subject matter. We have gone on road trips to Napa, San Diego, Sedona, a boat to Catalina Island, flown to North Carolina, and a river barge from the Czech Republic to Dresden Germany and I can’t forget wonderful Tuscany.

I can not express how important it is to have a sketching buddy. Neither of our husbands enjoys travel like we do. If I did not have a friend like Judy I wouldn’t have visit most of the places I have. Judy works faster than me but she is generally happy to do two sketches to my one. We are drawn to similar subject matter and seem to keep a pace that suits us both. I can’t say most people would like to sketch and paint as much as we do (more than once we have had friends join us only to have them drop off quickly). In the evening we finish what we started during the day. Often we will critique each others work. I trust Judy’s friendship and good eye. Judy is the owner of the Schroeder Studio Gallery in Orange, CA.

Another reason it is important to have a sketching buddy is for safety. I hate to admit it but there are people out there who would like to do harm. Having a buddy near by creates another set of eyes. I am very careful not to make myself an easy target for any crime. Most of the people we meet are genuinely interested in what we are doing and very friendly. Final reason to have a sketching buddy is it is always more fun to share the experience with a friend!

Happy Sketching!

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment