Monday, March 14, 2011

Negative Painting with Watercolor


This is a painting I started awhile back and decided to put it aside when I had lost direction. When I am unsure about a painting whether it is design, values, color...I put it aside until I have a clear direction and vision again. The last thing I want to do is make meaningless stroke and paint myself into a corner. I find putting a little time between me and a painting is usually enough to help me see clear again. If this doesn't work I have artist friends whose judgment I trust.

The problem I ran into with this painting was color. The amount of green was over powering the painting. The dreaded Green Monster (wink). To tone down the green I made a large puddle of Rose violet. In a couple places I wet the paper with clear water and ran the Rose Violet into the wet passages. I kept the paper tilted and used a spray bottle to help move the paint. Problem solved…no more Green Monster!

Happy Painting!

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment