Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Continual Line Contour Drawing


I am often asked how do I begin a "Continual Line Contour Drawing"? I usually start at the top and work my way down on the left side, and back up on the right side. I am conscious of not closing in the entire subject. It is important to leave open edges. Keeping open edges allows the eye to move in and through the drawing freely.

In this sketch you will notice a dot where I begin and finish. Once I put the pen on the paper I don't lift the pen until it is finished. The image becomes a little distorted but I think that is part of its charm.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting way of drawing! Admired your work! Hope you can write more in details about contour drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I should show a short demo or video...stay tuned =)

      Delete